Innovative new carbon technology company seeks a Vice President, Projects to manage and execute the strategic plan for the commercialization of its proprietary technology to produce oil with zero-emissions. This will include the design-develop-implementation of a small-scale commercial demonstration plant, the scale up to commercial development and developing the technology for other opportunities.
Red Leaf Resources, Inc. is a private company headquartered in Salt Lake City that has developed a proprietary technology, through its Green Leaf Carbon Technologies division, to produce zero-emissions or ‘blue oil’ from its resource-rich leases in Utah. The leases are also prospective for co-production of associated rare-earth elements. As part of its integration strategy, the company is developing downstream assets, including acreage in the producing Uinta Basin that has been licensed for a 25,000 bbl/d upgrader and the terminus of a proposed railway to improve egress in this landlocked basin.
The company’s mission is to commercialize its technology. The company’s vision is to become the premier provider of new carbon technology to produce energy from conventional resources with near zero-emissions. The strategy is to initially develop their resources in Utah and subsequently licence the technology to other operators internationally.
Green Leaf’s technology has been redesigned to improve both the economics and environmental footprint for a market that demands profitable and responsible energy production. In partnership with a global engineering firm, Green Leaf is developing a small-scale demonstration plant in advance of its full-scale commercial project. The company will be seeking joint venture or direct equity investment to finance this project.
This is an outstanding opportunity to play a central role in the creation of a major new energy source and associated technology that will ultimately form the platform for a multi-billion-dollar industry. The Vice President, Projects will lead the development and implementation of a $25MM USD small-scale production demonstration plant, and may manage other projects, including the development of a trans-loading facility and adapting the technology for other projects. Based in Calgary, with travel to Utah as required, the Vice President, Projects will report to the CEO.
- As a key business partner within the Red Leaf team, understand the commercialization targets and how to drive attainment of those targets.
- Provide overall project governance, including developing and following a coherent, consistent reference framework that guides decisions and processes including:
- Formalized project phases and checkpoints,
- Clear accountabilities within an integrated project team,
- Checks and balances between central functions and project teams,
- Continuous review to measure project value and monitor risk.
- Lead all critical functions related to the successful delivery of the limited-scale production module, including:
- Project management: Manage trade-offs among costs, schedule, technical solutions and stakeholder requirements to ensure the project’s value,
- Costs and schedule: Provide an accurate estimate and control of project results, from concept to completion, monitoring project costs and schedule,
- HR and support functions: Manage resources, training and compensation to ensure the necessary skills are available to the project when needed,
- Production operations: Take into account all aspects of the asset’s operability and maintenance, from planning through commissioning, start-up and performance tests,
- Engineering: Identify technologies that deliver innovation and competitive advantage in terms of quality, costs and schedule while avoiding over-engineering,
- Procurement: Source goods and services based on best market opportunities,
- Contracting: Define and manage contracts to meet quality, costs and schedule requirements,
- Risk and opportunity management: Minimize the probability and consequences of threats while maximizing opportunities in a systematic and constantly updated process,
- Quality and HSE (health, safety, environment): Guarantee the health and safety of employees, contractors, customers, local communities and the environment throughout the project life cycle.
- Prepare and maintain regular project reports during design, construction and implementation.
- Assist the Executive Committee in representing the company to investors/licensees as the implementation of the limited-scale production module progresses.
The Ideal Candidate
As the ideal candidate, you are a seasoned and collaborative leader of people and projects. Highly skilled at building consensus, you are known for your ability to gain the support of a wide range of internal and external stakeholders in order to drive critical capital projects through to successful completion.
Driven, strategic and analytical, you are adept at managing through ambiguity and are motivated by rapid growth, a fast-paced environment and the opportunity to get in on the ground floor of an exciting new energy supply.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- 15+ years’ experience in progressive engineering and program management roles in the energy industry, including 5+ years in a commercial development role.
- Deep understanding of the critical success factors involved in successfully implementing an innovative, major capital project in the energy industry.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully manage multiple internal and external stakeholders to drive critical projects through to successful implementation.
- Ability to seek, review and understand disparate streams of data from multiple sources, and make timely decisions based on the data at hand.
- Extensive experience with contracting, negotiating, reporting and change management.
- Proven negotiation and mediation skills, with the ability to overcome obstacles and foster harmonious relations.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate in a compelling and diplomatic manner with EPCs, investors, technical and scientific staff, executives and Board members.
- Outstanding business and financial acumen.
- Superior strategic, analytical and abstract reasoning skills.
- Expertise with financial/operational modelling (MS Excel) and project management (MS Project or equivalent) tools.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or Business preferred.
To be considered for this outstanding opportunity, please forward your resume to:
Director, Executive & Professional Search