Freshstone Brands Inc.
Vice President, Human Resources
Freshstone Brands is a Canadian based food service company and a producer of home meal replacement products servicing several market channels in Canada and the United Sates.
Using only natural ingredients (no artificial flavours, colours or preservatives), Freshstone Brands produces gourmet ready-to-eat entrees, side dishes, soups, spreads, dips, dressed salads and hand-held appetizers and a wide variety of other pre-packaged food products. Freshstone Brands provides premium food product solutions for grocery retailers, delis, up-scale commissaries, and more.
Freshstone Brands has stringent compliance system, is licensed by the FDA and CFIA, and maintains high food and food production quality certification standards:
The Vice President of Human Resources reports directly to the President of Freshstone Brands Inc. and will be located within greater Toronto, Canada.
As the Vice President of Human Resources, you will lead the Human Resource Team and maintain full oversight for workforce planning, recruitment and retention, compensation and benefits, total rewards, employee engagement, performance management, professional development, policy and coaching to help influence and execute business objectives. You will be an integral member of the executive team and contribute and apply your knowledge and expertise on strategical, operational, and tactical levels.
- Building relationships with key personnel, effectively partnering with the business, and coaching and influencing desired strategic business outcomes.
- Partnering with managers and senior leaders advising and implementing effective HR policies and practices that support strategic business integration and growth objectives.
- Assessing and analyzing current workforce data, policies, compensation, total rewards, payroll system, and performance metrics and making recommendations that will best contribute to strategic business alignment, integration, and growth objectives.
- Providing advice, coaching and leadership relevant to employment law, legal contracts, HR policy, and all human resources matters.
- Conducting a talent review and providing recommendations on integration and allocation across company operations.
- Performing risk assessments and preventative strategies to reduce the organization’s exposure to legal and other employment risks.
- Working with managers providing labour relations support including collective agreement interpretation and bargaining, managing grievances, and investigating, recommending and resolving employee relations matters.
- Managing the company and HR site leaders on staffing, individual and team performance, organization design, employee and labour relations, and leadership development.
- Maintaining high visibility at all plant / site locations to promote HR programs and assist management with operational and tactical initiatives.
Education and Experience
- Post-secondary education in Human Resources, Administrative Management, Business Administration and or related field.
- Professional designations in CPHR and or SHRM-SCP.
- Additional education and experience in Leadership Coaching, PROSCI, PMP, Six Sigma is an asset.
- 15+ years’ Human Resources experience with at least 10 years at a senior level.
- Ideally, senior HR leadership experience in manufacturing, packaging, canning, consumer goods, and other food products or alternative manufacturing industry sectors.
- Experience in a company with multiple plant sites would be an asset.
- Experience in a private company with greater than 100/150 employees.
- People and HR systems integration and alignment experience ideally associated through a merger or acquisition.
- Preferred strategic and operational experience in, talent management (acquisition, assessment, development, and retention), total employee rewards (compensation, benefits, incentives), payroll management, performance management (identifying and addressing delinquencies or policies that contribute to underperformance), HR policy review and development, and coaching.
- Demonstrated experience in leveraging technology to effectively reduce HR costs and improve workforce management systems and processes.
- Experience with HR information systems (HRIS).
- Experience working with, advising and or engaging with executive leadership teams.
- Excellent interpersonal skill and communication skills, verbal and written.
- Strong knowledge of employee relations practices, employment standards, law, and regulations.
- Proven experience in employee investigations, disciplinary actions, and conflict resolution.
- Valid Passport (required travel between US and Canada).
- Valid Canadian Driver’s Licence.
- Preferably fully vaccinated for COVID-19.
- Manufacturing facilities may have air borne aromas and food dust particles such as flour that can affect persons with allergies.
Competencies and Attributes
- Strategic with the humility to function at operational and tactical levels.
- Business centric with people, productivity, and profitability intentions.
- Leadership with confidence providing decisive advice and decision making.
- Accountable to perform and contribute to the strategic goals.
- Integrity and ethical intentions at all times.
- Creative, innovative, and cost-effective solutions.
- Selective, patient, and persistent in advancing systems, processes, and policies.
- Analytical with problem solving ensuring for measurable results and outcomes.
- Knowledgeable and resourceful on all matters HR.
- Enthusiastic in their career and role within the company.
- Collaborative, engaging, and influencing to the extent necessary to affect positive change.
- Organized and systematic in prioritizing and executing plans.
- Open, respectful, diplomatic, and frank in communicating with others.
- Understanding, reasonable, and solution focused in addressing conflict or disputes.
- Independent and capable of implementing a vision amid underdeveloped infrastructure.
Freshstone Brands Inc. is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion and recognizes that a diverse staff benefits and enriches the work environment and contributes to organizational excellence. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals including candidates from diverse backgrounds and those with disabilities.
The base salary will be commensurate with skills and experience. Benefits and a bonus incentive are included and will be discussed during the candidate review process.
In compliance and consistent with the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (“PIPEDA”), HumanEdge shall respect the privacy and confidentiality of all personal information provided directly or indirectly verbally, electronically or in print throughout the process of candidate engagement in our search assignments.
For more information or submission of interest/resume contact in confidence: