About the McMan Calgary and Area
On November 15, 1975, four graduates of Grant MacEwan College decided to open a group home in the inner city of Edmonton. With a vision to evoke change and contribute to the community, these individuals sought to provide support to young people who required care. This ambition ultimately resulted in the foundation of McMan Youth, Family and Community Services Association as we know it today.
Since then, the organization has evolved into a multi-regional body that serves the province of Alberta. Offering a variety of services that respond to the needs of their local communities, McMan has enabled Albertans to achieve their full potential as members of their community.
McMan Youth, Family and Community Services Association of Calgary & Area is a responsive and innovative organization making a difference in the lives of close to 3000 vulnerable children, youth, and families annually. They support children, youth and families with complex needs that can include mental health issues, addiction, homelessness, poverty, and disability by providing them with the services and supports they need to thrive. As a fundamental practice across all McMan’s services, they work with individuals to help them maintain and grow relationships that can extend beyond our professional support- life-long connections that can help people sustain, and build on, their strengths and new skills.
McMan Calgary & Area has 120 highly skilled and trained staff who are passionate about its mission. Staff are committed to helping children, youth and their families to strengthen their relationships, build connections within their communities, and achieve their full potential.
McMan’s 2022-2025 Strategic Plan is guided by it’s vision, mission, and values:
Together we transform the lives of children, youth and families through sustainable supports and connections, leading to healthy and fulfilling lives.
To support and encourage individuals and families to achieve their full potential as members of their community.
Commitment, trust, empathy, respect, genuineness.
About the Opportunity
Reporting to the Executive Director (ED), the Senior Director of Strategy & Operations (SDSO) is responsible for leading and managing a comprehensive array of core functions and services including strategy and implementation, project management, stakeholder relations, marketing and communications, fund development, and business development. The incumbent will be responsible for significant growth and expansion of clients’ services, two social enterprise initiatives, and driving the development and implementation of strategy to meet organizational change and development needs.
The SDSO will partner with their peers—the Senior Director of Business Services (SDBS), Director of Services and the Director of People & Talent – while also being responsible for developing, implementing, and managing the program aspects of the annual budget in collaboration with the SDBS. The SDSO will play a key role in assisting the Executive Director operationalizing and implementing the organization’s strategic and business plans. The position will review, on an ongoing basis, services being offered and lead the development of new programs and services as client needs evolve or emerge.
The Ideal Candidate
McMan Calgary & Area is looking for a mission-focused, seasoned, strategic, and process improvement-minded leader with senior level experience collaborating and scaling an organization, leading a high-performance culture among a group of diverse and talented individuals. The ideal candidate possesses experience in developing internal and external relationships, guide strategy, and influence the continuous improvement of transformative cost-client effective outcomes. Furthermore, the successful candidate will have the emotional intelligence, integrity and professionalism that embodies the organization’s Vision, Mission and Values.
Strategy and Implementation
- Support the Executive Director in building and overseeing priorities across all program areas and assist with project integration across the organization.
- Support the Executive Director in achieving target goals and priorities by serving as a strategic partner and implementation leader.
- Provide effective and inspirational leadership and stewardship of McMan through active involvement in all programs and services.
- Promote regular opportunities for staff to share ideas and feedback on programs and service delivery.
- Responsible for implementing strategy by anticipating future consequences and trends and incorporate them into the organizational plan. I.e.: development of fee for service.
Stakeholder Relationships and Fund Development
- Partner with the Executive Director to represent McMan with external constituency groups, including community, governmental, and private organizations.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with city leaders, elected officials, community stakeholders, foundation partners, and other critical external partners.
- Continuing to standardize and improve core service, financial and delivery environment while managing organizational effectiveness, compliance/risk.
- Scope the breadth and depth of the funding market understanding what is required to make informed decisions about pursuing new opportunities. actionable insight.
- Develop, implement, and coordinate strategies, including targets and operational enhancements aimed toward ensuring that programs deliver high-impact services to clients.
- Drive highly visible strategic projects, working cross-functionally to structure problems, analyze opportunities, and develop solutions and actionable recommendations and results through a rigorous, data-driven process.
Marketing and Communications
- Participate in the development of branding and corporate identity initiatives.
- Develop and oversee marketing budgets.
- Develop initiative branding plans for ED approval. Develop customer, brand and product research initiatives.
- Offer expert advice to develop innovative promotion, public relations, social media and events.
- Oversee agency providers, consultants, including contract negotiation and management.
- Oversee the operation of organization website and provide analytics reviews.
- Manage and build relationships with fund development, marketing, and communications vendors.
- Design, develop, and implement external community engagement strategies.
- Coordinate the design, printing, and distribution of organizational marketing and communication materials including the annual report to the community.
- Create and support organizational key messaging. Ensure quantitative data included in key messages are updated annually.
- Support the development of external communication content including website content, blog posts, social media channels, press releases, etc.
- Ensure proper controls, processes and supports are in place for external communication needs of programs and services.
- Support ongoing internal communications as needed and directed.
Service Delivery and Expansion
- Perform analyses to identify points of commonality of process and data use across the agency – investigate ways to leverage solutions so that the entire agency benefits from redesign activities.
- Ensure that new processes are supported by robust quality controls.
- Ensure that all program activities operate consistently and ethically within the mission and values of McMan.
- Deliver year over year increases in revenue through expanding existing programs and developing new (mental health) services.
- In collaboration with SDBS, prepare and submit an annual operational budget to the ED for review and approval, manage effectively within this budget, and report accurately on progress made and challenges encountered.
- Reflect and demonstrate the Agency Vision in your work.
- Represent the Agency in a professional manner.
- Complete and maintain all Agency core training related to the position.
- Understand and act in accordance with the legislation, policies, standards and procedures of the program and Agency.
- Establish and maintain a collaborative working relationship with colleagues and external stakeholders to foster consistency and collaboration of services.
- Know and understand the relationship of the services of his/her program to other Agency programs and to the Agency Mission and strategic direction.
- Ensure accuracy, confidentiality, and safekeeping of agency records.
- A Degree in a related discipline.
- A Masters or MBA would be an asset.
- Five (5) to seven (7+) years of progressive senior leadership experience with respect to strategy, business development, stakeholder relations, organizational development, or operations effectiveness.
- Outstanding analytical and strategic thinking, with a focus on results and impact.
- Demonstrated experience working collaboratively to lead the integration of a complex organization and utilizing best practices in management to ensure shared success.
- Experience managing diverse teams with the ability to work closely with staff members to set and achieve individual and team goals.
- Government acumen, at all levels; municipal, provincial, and federal. government.
- Customer-centric approach toward maximizing program impacts, introduction of innovation, and diplomacy skills to resolve and remove obstacles.
- Accomplished oral and written communication skills, persuasive and passionate engaging with staff, sponsors, partners, or other stakeholders.
- Strategic organizational project management and change management experience.
- In concert with the Executive Director and Leadership team help ensuring the organization is responsive and aligned with the needs and priorities of the community.
McMan is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion and recognizes that a diverse staff benefits and enriches the work environment and contributes to organizational excellence. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals including candidates from diverse backgrounds and those with disabilities.
McMan encourages a work/life balance and offers an attractive blend of benefits, time off allowances, and the opportunity to contribute to the community at large. Access is provided to benefits within the first month of employment, with a plan that includes vision, dental and prescription drug coverage, and an Employee Assistance Program. A 100% employer contribution pension plan is also provided after 6 months of employment. Salary will be commensurate upon skills and experience.
In compliance and consistent with the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (“PIPEDA”), HumanEdge shall respect the privacy and confidentiality of all personal information provided directly or indirectly verbally, electronically or in print throughout the process of candidate engagement in our search assignments.
Please forward resumes in confidence to:
Todd Sharpe, Partner
Ken Glover, Managing Partner