Located approximately 3 hours north east of Edmonton, the City of Cold Lake has a population of over 15,000 residents and home to the 4 Wing Canadian Forces air fighter base. The City is situated on Alberta’s 7th largest lake offering world-class sport fishing, and a well-established marina and boating community. In addition to being surrounded by parks and wilderness, the City is the central shopping destination for the region, and hosts modern recreation amenities.
Reporting to the Environmental Services Manager (and GM, Infrastructure Services), the Foreman oversees all activities associated with the collection, movement, screening, distribution and treatment of waste, compost and recyclables for the City of Cold Lake.
As a key member of the City’s waste management team, the Foreman will be responsible for all waste management operations including; staff supervision, staff scheduling, staff training, contractor relations, safety, addressing public and operational matters, applying and complying with City and other relevant policies and standards, and providing insight and ideas for continuous improvement.
The Ideal Candidate
- The Foreman role is for an individual that possesses seasoned supervisor and communication skills.
- Prior experience working within a waste management operation or related involvement with transfer stations, composting systems, and / or waste collection is required.
- You fully understand, manage for, and promote a culture of safe and efficient operations.
- You possess a valid Drivers License, and are currently in good physical health.
- You communicate clear directions on performance objectives and measurements.
- You accept full accountability for the City’s waste management operations.
Education and Skills:
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- A post-secondary trade or operational related diploma, certificate, or training.
- Alberta landfill Facility Operator and Environment Compost Facility Operator Certification would be an asset.
- Ideally possess Class 3 with Air.
- 5-8 years’ experience within the area of waste management or combined field / waste materials handling. Municipal experience is desirable.
- Strong people management and communication skills.
- Capable computer skills.
- A problem solver.
- Ability to supervise others and work independently.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Relevant current safety tickets would be an asset (e.g. First Aid CPR & AED, WHIMIS, Confined Space, Transportation Dangerous Goods,…)
Remuneration: Base salary will be commensurate upon experience. This position includes a 100% employer funded benefits plan. Financial support for relocation is available.
Note: Employment will be conditional upon satisfactory submission / completion of a Driver’s Abstract, Criminal Records Check, and Drug and Alcohol Testing.
Expressions of interest and resume may be sent in confidence to:
Ken Glover, BSc., RPR