Canadian Western Bank (CWB) is a Schedule 1 Bank offering a full ranges of services to personal and business banking clients. Based in Edmonton, CWB has 41 branches across the four western provinces and specializes in the industries that drive business in the West: commercial, equipment financing, real estate construction financing and energy lending.
This is an outstanding leadership opportunity for an experienced lender with deep knowledge of high risk scenarios and a highly collaborative approach to seeking mutually-beneficial solutions.
Reporting to the VP Credit Risk Management, the Senior AVP will adjudicate and manage the borrowing requirements of the Bank’s High Risk portfolio. Applying an attentive approach to credit rehabilitation and restructuring, the Senior AVP will minimize the Bank’s risk with a goal of repatriating the account back to a performing status where possible, managing work-out situations to ensure the maximum repayment of the Bank’s advances under realization, collection, and liquidation scenarios.
The primary objectives of the position are to:
- Provide support to branches on High Risk Accounts through the approval of credit limits for customers by direct approval within discretionary limits, or through recommendations to senior management.
- Discuss terms and conditions of credit applications and related matters with the Branches as required.
- Monitor and assess the quality of the portfolio by risk rating, and establish appropriate allowances and measure the results against the Bank objectives and business plan.
- Periodically review the Bank’s Lending Policy & Guidelines specific to High Risk sections, and recommend changes/amendments for approval to Senior Management.
- Provide support and guidance to branches and perform primary adjudication of assigned WAVE requests risk rated 9-12, to restore loans to an acceptable level of risk or to maximize recovery of capital.
- Evaluate and analyze financial statements and review business plans to determine appropriate recovery strategies.
- Understand the clients’ situation, exposure, and collateral to establish an initial course of action; implement the workout plan and revise as required based on changing circumstances.
- Reach resolution on work-out strategies with the high risk team, the branch lenders and the client.
- Directly manage loans/borrowers as assigned by the Team Lead.
- Provide approvals, recommendations, and support to the Team Lead Sr. AVP, SVP and VP Credit Risk Management by reviewing and assessing new, renewal, and reportable credit applications.
- Assist in the administration of credit policies.
- Assist in the review of branch out-of-order, watch list and impaired loan reports and provide approval or recommendations for action plans and remedial procedures.
- Direct Branch personnel on management of outstanding loans that are categorized as watch list or impaired through the assessment and approval of action plans for account resolution.
- Continuously monitor branch reporting of loan portfolios through regular review of arrears, out of order reporting, audit reports, CRM reporting and credit responses for weaknesses including covenant breaches, financial deterioration, arrears, security impairment and other material adverse changes;
- Recommend account downgrades to watch or impaired status under the requirements of the Bank’s Lending Policy and guidelines;
- Where supportable, seek forbearance situations to allow borrowers to resolve asset or business realizations that address the Bank’s risk position in a timely manner, with CRM concurrence and assistance.
- Prepare required Watch and Impaired reports as assigned by the Team Lead for presentation to the Senior Executive and Directors’ Loans Committee.
- Discuss and provide assistance to branches with pre-submission reviews and problem loans, keeping apprised of current industry trends as it relates to underwriting and risk appetite.
- Assist in preparing summaries and other information required by OSFI and external auditors.
- Provide input for performance appraisals, monitor progress and provide direction/training of support personnel, as required.
- Develop short and long term personal learning goals for continuous learning and development in the areas as identified by incumbent and manager.
- Pursue continual learning and development of personal goals to remain current regarding industry development and trends in order to meet individual and Bank goals.
The Ideal Candidate
- As the ideal candidate, you have extensive experience assessing, managing and mitigating high risk portfolios for a diverse range of clients.
- You are a collaborative problem-solver and an exceptional communicator, with a strong commitment to providing excellence in service to both internal and external stakeholders.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Undergraduate degree in commerce, finance or accounting disciplines, or equivalent experience.
- Minimum 10 years strong lending background (Commercial, Real Estate, and Equipment Finance).
- Direct experience managing problem accounts and work-out situations is strongly preferred.
- Experience managing energy production loans is an asset.
- Proven management/leadership experience.
- Previous experience working in a Credit Risk adjudication role is considered an asset.
- Working knowledge of Moody’s Financial Analyst.
- Strong knowledge of working systems- BFE, Excel, Word, HOBS, WAVE and Adobe Forms
- Strong organizational, analytical, negotiation and mediation skills.
- Prior experience with financial statement analysis and accounting software programs.
- Ability to maintain professionalism while managing conflict.
- Ability to build effective relationships with various stakeholders and parties (Branch Managers, Account Managers, Legal Counsel, Senior Executive).
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal, including the ability to draft reports and loan summaries for senior management.
- Excellent risk analysis skills.
- Ability to work through complex situations and yield solutions.