Whistler Connection (www.whistlerconnectiontravel.com) is a private professional transportation company based in Whistler, BC. The company was born out of the need for a more frequent reliable transportation service to accommodate the long-haul destination traveler coming to Whistler. Over the past 20 years, Whistler Connection has become the premier service for transporting people along and within British Columbia’s scenic south western coast, Sea to Sky highway corridor.
Whistler Connection provides its customers a convenient, flexible and customized service from YVR International Airport and Vancouver hotels to Whistler, BC. Whistler Connection tracks airline flights and adjusts vehicle size & departure times which enables the company to provide a unique wait-time guarantee for clients departing YVR. They provide door to door transfers to any property in Whistler. Whistler Connection operates a variety of sprinter vans, minibuses, and motor coaches to suit the needs of any sized customer group.
The busiest time for Whistler Connection is the winter ski season. The company has been building its “off season” business through chartered events and is also actively exploring opportunities in a number of new markets.
With the planned retirement of the founder and current President, the Board of Directors is seeking the right next leader to grow and expand this highly profitable business into the future.
Job Title: President
Reports to: Board of Directors
Direct Reports: 4
Employee Count: 40 – 100 (seasonal fluctuations)
Office and Warehouse Location: Whistler, British Columbia
The Chief Executive Officer (“CEO”) reports directly to the Board of Directors (“Board”). The CEO will oversee, guide and influence the continued operation, development, and business growth of Whistler Connection’s primary transportation service. In addition, the CEO will pursue and establish secondary and enhanced business relationships and opportunities toward achieving greater year-round continuity in operations in Whistler and new growth markets.
- Lead business growth and profitability through operational excellence and the efficient use of technology, equipment, logistics and staff.
- Profitably expand the business into new markets and new partnerships within the tourism and transportation industries.
- Project, promote, foster, and instill a quality-centric customer service culture.
- Manage all Whistler Connections resources, assets and infrastructure in a prudent manner.
- Actively promote the Vision, mission and culture of the company to staff and all stakeholders.
- Full fiscal accountability including, but not limited to, overseeing fees, rates, salaries, investments, leases, and other arrangements or agreements.
- Oversee the company’s health and safety and environmental programs, polices and performance.
- Ensure an effective organization structure for the company by assigning major functions, staffing key positions, providing effective succession, team development and employee engagement.
- Risk assessment and the management of risk.
- Recommend to the Board via a business case, any major operational or capital investments.
- Ensure operations comply with all applicable laws and regulations, and Whistler Connection’s standards for conduct, and relevant approved policies.
- Oversee all corporate functions; Human Resources, Business Development, Operations, Finance, Safety, Environment, Regulatory, Communications and Sales and Marketing.
- Provide the Board with sufficient and current information relevant to business operations, key issues, and finances, and where appropriate present recommendations for Board review.
- Actively engage in the community to promote the company’s profile and business relations.
- Consider social and community support where applicable and feasible.
- Critical Thinking: An open, curious, practical and optimistic approach to considering solutions and new opportunities.
- Visionary: The ability to develop and present a compelling shared vision of growth for the company. strategy of the organization.
- Business and Financial Acumen: Ability to apply sound business and finance principles to the day-to-day running of the business to ensure positive outcomes.
- Innovation: Willingness to explore new ideas, systems and processes for success. A strong desire to constantly look for breakthrough ways to improve.
- Drive Accountability: Empower the leadership team and staff to understand their accountability for the success of the business. Help develop competencies to enable that success.
- Customer & Service Focus: Build and maintains strong, trusting customer relationships and seek continuous improvement.
- Inspire Others: Create a climate where the team desires to achieve.
- Communicative: Share information in an open and transparent manner to build understanding and alignment across the company.
- Principled: Foster an environment of collaboration and trust through honesty, integrity and authenticity.
- Anticipatory: Be cognizant of risk factors and market opportunities and be prepared to react.
- Post-secondary education ideally in Business or Marketing.
- 10 + years of progressive leadership experience.
- Experience in hospitality, transportation or tourism industries would be an asset.
- Understands the power and capacity of technology to support business growth.
- Experience working in a private mid-size business reporting to a Board of Directors.
- Strong leadership skills with the proven ability to mentor and develop a senior management team.
- Proven track record in developing strategies, executing plans, and creating significant returns on investment and capital.
- Experience with identifying and creating business relationships and operational partnerships.
- A transparent, open and authentic leadership style that holds self and others accountable for delivering results through collaboration, innovation, engagement and trust.
- Experience in a regulated business would be an asset.
Ideal Candidate Profile
- You are a versatile individual capable of functioning at a strategic leadership level and also able to roll up your sleeves to assist with general day-to-day operations.
- You possess the leadership skills to motivate teams to develop market driven solutions, build profitable operations and deliver outstanding customer service.
- You are an excellent communicator who has a flair for technology, marketing and forming productive business relationships.
- You demonstrate flexibility, innovation, critical thinking, sound decision making and professionalism.
- You are experienced in building and growing a business through well-developed plans and by inspiring and empowering others to succeed.
Compensation will be commensurate upon experience. Base salary plus bonus structure and benefits. Relocation support will be available if required.
For further information or to apply, please contact:
Ken Glover, Client Partner