Merit Contractors Association (MCA) is a not-for-profit organization providing advocacy, education and benefits to industry partners and open shop construction workers across Alberta. The comprehensive group health benefits, training and human resource tools support the needs of more than 40,000 individuals and 1,300 member companies in the construction industry. MCA’s focus is to ensure every one of its members is set up for success.
This outstanding opportunity is a newly created position that will play a key role in supporting the organization’s ambitious strategic plan from a legal standpoint to drive business growth and expand its overall commercial success. Reporting to the CEO, and working in close collaboration with Merit’s leadership team as well as its external Corporate Counsel, the In-House Counsel will advise and counsel Merit and its affiliated organizations on all legal matters, help develop relevant documentation, and monitor communications and legislation to ensure Merit is well-positioned and supported to pursue its commercial growth and success.
- Provide legal advice and opinions on a variety of issues and areas, including but not limited to contract law, corporate structure and finance, employment, privacy and labour law, to assist in strategic decision making.
- Negotiating and drafting agreements and contracts, Articles of Association, policies and guidelines.
- Advising on corporate governance, contract status, legal risks and liabilities.
- Researching and anticipating unique legal issues that may impact the company, while monitoring and reporting on relevant legislative changes.
- Reviewing and advising on communications and marketing materials to ensure compliance with legal requirements.
The Ideal Candidate
As the ideal candidate, you are a law graduate with several years of experience working in a law practice. You are excited about the opportunity to gain exposure to many areas of law, working in an organization that operates multiple businesses across several provinces.
You have high professional and personal integrity. You have a strong desire to support all facets of the organization from a legal standpoint. You are not afraid to roll up your sleeves and get involved in the details yet have the maturity and judgement to recognize when you need to consult with Corporate Counsel.
Your strong critical thinking and strategic analysis skills, coupled with your natural curiosity and desire to learn will drive your exploration of legal possibilities and solutions to support Merit’s growth plan. You are process-minded and detail driven while drafting and reviewing internal and external documents, and accountable for the end results.
You are comfortable working independently and as a collaborative team player, able to take direction and invest in the success of Merit, its affiliates and client members.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Canadian Law Degree.
- Member in good standing with the Law Society of Alberta.
- Minimum two years of experience at a law firm or as in-house counsel.
- A solid understanding of and experience with corporate governance, bylaws and charters, contracts, data privacy, and related legislation.
- Experience with construction law, OHS, not-for-profit organizations and start-ups would be an asset.
- Outstanding integrity, tenacity, and accountability.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
To be considered for this unique opportunity, please forward your resume to:
Executive Recruitment Consultant