Human Resources Manager
About the Municipality
Athabasca County’s Administration Office is located approximately 150 kms north of Edmonton, AB. The official 2016 Census lists the County population just under 8,000. The County is sprawled across 2,364 square miles. Municipalities within the boundaries of Athabasca County include the Town of Athabasca, Villages of Boyle, Summer villages of Bondiss, Island Lake, Island Lake South, Mewatha Beach, South Baptiste, Sunset Beach, West Baptiste, Whispering Hills, and Hamlets of Atmore, Breynat, Caslan, Colinton, Donatville, Ellscott, Grassland, Meanook, Perryvale, Rochester, and Wandering River.
Athabasca County’s economy is supported by agriculture, forestry, aggregate, tourism and recreation, and the oil and gas industry. The Town of Athabasca and the Village of Boyle are key services hub for the region. Collectively the County offers access to many services and amenities including hospitals, airport, primary, secondary, and post-secondary education, secondary medical and pharmaceutical services, fire protection, policing, seniors and supportive living care and housing, community organizations, shopping and a multitude of recreation facilities, green spaces, sports fields, areas, curling rinks, parks, lakes, and rivers.
The County is legislated under the Alberta Municipal Government Act and is governed by a Council comprised of nine (9) Councillors from which a Reeve and Deputy Reeve are appointed.
An inclusive region and vibrant centre of dynamic economic innovation, prosperity, diversity, and opportunity.
Commitment; empathy; respect; honesty, ethics and integrity; accountability, transparency; patience; service before self; communications, collaboration and partnerships.
To provide the region with leadership, direction, and guidance by championing and developing ideas and initiatives that empower, promote, and catalyze growth building economic activity.
About the Opportunity
Located in the Athabasca County office, the Human Resources Manager is responsible for supporting overall employee experience and management, and talent resource planning for the County in alignment with Council and Administration objectives. The incumbent will function as a support and advisor to management on human resource related issues, acts as an employee champion and change agent and assesses and anticipates HR related needs. The individual will establish relationships across the County operations to deliver value added service to management and employees consistent with the County’s business objectives.
The Human Resources Manager reports to Chief Administrative Officer.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Overall management of HR related duties associated with recruitment and hiring processes, performance management, career planning, employee relations, policy and procedure, training and development, employee benefits, classification, and compensation.
- Apply a continuous improvement approach to the role and explore and bring forth suggestions that may improve any aspect associated with the delivery of human resources services.
- Engage with County leadership to understand their people management needs and propose and provide support where necessary or mutually supported.
- Address and resolve complex employee relations issues through effective, thorough, and objective processes including investigations, performance management plans, disciplinary procedures…etc.
- Maintain a strong knowledge of relevant provincial and federal human resource legislation and standards, and related County policies, procedures, and employment standards.
- Provide employee performance and career management advice to supervisors in dealing with employee issues, including training and development.
- Work collaboratively with the CAO and Administration in identifying workforce trends and metrics, and providing recommendations on HR matters including programs and policies.
- Provide guidance and input to supervisors on departmental restructure initiatives, workforce planning and succession planning for the organization.
- Assist employees with identifying training needs and provide career development advice.
- Participate in evaluation and monitoring of training programs to ensure success.
- Manage the overall recruitment process once request initiated by supervisors.
- Review, revise, develop and implement orientation and on-boarding for new hires as required.
- Prepare and maintain position descriptions and manage recruitment process for specific talent requirements.
- By the end of 2022, the HR Manager will take over the management and administration of the Occupational Health and Safety program for the organization.
- Post-secondary degree, diploma or certification in Human Resources, Business Management, Social Sciences or equivalent.
- 5 – 7 years’ progressive experience as an HR Generalist or HR Specialist or HR Manager.
- Prior municipal HR experience or an equivalent combination from another sector.
- Chartered Professional in Human Resources (CPHR), or pursuing or eligible is desired.
- Prior experience with Occupational Health and Safety, and Health and Safety training is desired.
- Well organized
- Legally astute
- People centric
- Safety conscience
Athabasca County is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion and recognizes that a diverse staff benefits and enriches the work environment and contributes to organizational excellence. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals including candidates from diverse backgrounds and those with disabilities.
Compensation with be commensurate with experience and skills within the range of $88,725.00 – $103,793.00 per annum (negotiable). Benefits plan will be communicated prior to the employment offer.
In compliance and consistent with the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (“PIPEDA”), HumanEdge shall respect the privacy and confidentiality of all personal information provided directly or indirectly verbally, electronically or in print throughout the process of candidate engagement in our search assignments.
How to Apply
Information, expressions of interest and resumes contact or send in confidence to: