About the Municipality
The Municipal District of Bonnyville is located in the northeastern part of the Province of Alberta. Neighbouring the boundary of the Municipal District is the City of Cold Lake, the Town of Bonnyville, the Summer Villages of Bonnyville Beach, Pelican Narrows, Metis Settlements, Elizabeth and Fishing Lake, and Kehewin Cree Nation and Cold Lake First Nation.
The population of the Municipal District is estimated at 13,500 residents. The MD office is located in the Town of Bonnyville which is approximately 240 kms NE of Edmonton along Highway #28. Predominant industries influencing the MD include agriculture, forestry, oil and gas/energy, utilities, and recreation. The Canadian Forces Base ‘Cold Lake’ is located southwest of the City of Cold Lake, AB and is operated as an air force base by the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF), one of two bases in Canada that stations the CF-18 Hornet fighter and the future home of the F-35 fighter jet.
The MD owns/leases and manages 12 campgrounds and parks, 3 outdoor rinks, 4 ball diamonds, 13 boat docks, 9 Municipal reserves and 15 playgrounds. In addition, the MD owns and operates the year-round Kinosoo Ridge Resort. Notable Provincial recreation sites in the region include Cold Lake Provincial Park, English Bay Recreation Area, Moose Lake Provincial Park, and Franchere Bay Recreation Area. New to Kinosoo Ridge Resort is a Multi-use Park and Adventure Park which opened in 2022.
The Municipal District is legislated under the Alberta Municipal Government Act and is governed by a Council comprised the Reeve and six (6) Councillors.
The Municipal District of Bonnyville will be a leader and innovator in local municipal governance, services, and economic prosperity.
To develop, maintain and enhance a safe and prosperous municipality through the effective provision of services for its public.
Relevant Municipal Guiding Documents:
About the Opportunity
The Municipal District is seeking a General Manager of Corporate Services who will be a member of the Senior Management team and report to the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO). The General Manager of Corporate Services is responsible for the coordination of all activities required to plan, develop, and operate administration including customer service, finance and accounting, risk and compliance, banking and investments, insurance, audit, procurement (including fleet), human resources, payroll, information technology, grant reporting, assessment and taxation, and corporate legal liability and risk.
- Manager Assessment Services
- Manager Human Resources
- Manager Finance
- Manager of Information Technology
- Administrative Assistant
- Grants Coordinator
- Customer Service
Roles, Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Demonstrate leadership, direction, and accountability for the Manager of Assessment Services, Manager of Finance, Manager of Information Technology, Manager of Human Resources, Accountant, and all staff within the department.
- Form an integral part of the executive team to provide guidance on overall organizational strategic planning and growth strategies.
- Set organizational performance measures and subsequent evaluation methods in collaboration with the executive team.
- In consultation with the CAO, ensure the goals and objectives of Council are achieved.
- Provide expertise, guidance, and recommendations to the CAO, executive team, and organizational leaders in all aspects of Corporate Services.
- Determine the mission and strategic direction as conveyed through policies and concrete objectives to manage the financial and administrative facets of the municipality.
- Evaluating the procurement and tendering policies, processes, and procedures, ensuring approvals are implemented and communicated.
- Provide reporting requirements and financial management in relation to grant funding.
- Supervise the preparation, defense, review, and audit of annual property assessments.
- Oversee and determine that the administrative processes in relation to assessment, and taxation are working effectively.
- Ensure for an effective Information Technology infrastructure (hardware and software) for the municipality.
- In conjunction with auditors and finance and accounting staff, prepare the necessary year-end working papers and applicable audited financial statements.
- Oversee, review, advise, and update CAO and Council on Municipal assets, debentures, and investments.
- Maintain effective communication with human resources to proactively address concerns and issues in relation to employment and advise CAO if required.
- Ensure the operational aspects of payroll are accurate.
- Advise on governance in accordance with current legislation policies, processes, and procedures.
- Develop positive team relations that encourage staff engagement within the department.
- Other duties as assigned by the CAO.
- CGA, CMA or CPA/CA designation is desirable, a combination of other relevant education post-secondary education in administrative management, finance and leadership may be considered.
- A minimum of 5-years’ experience at a senior level financial accounting and reporting role preferably with a Municipality or government organization; 5-years auditing experience in Municipal Government may also be considered. (Experience in non-municipal government area may also be considered).
- Demonstrated knowledge of the Municipal Government Act and Provincial Statues.
- Experience and knowledge using Municipal Affairs MAConnect grant portal would be an asset.
- Experience with common municipal budgeting and financial software such as Questica, Great Plains, MS Dynamics, Diamond Municipal Solutions, and City Wide would be an asset.
- Seasoned interpersonal skills and demonstrated leadership ability.
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written.
- Ability to anticipate sensitive issues and practice effective diplomacy.
- Must be bondable.
- Well organized
- Fiscally astute
- Politically astute
- Business minded
- Customer centric
- Safety conscience
The MD of Bonnyville is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion and recognizes that a diverse staff benefits and enriches the work environment and contributes to organizational excellence. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals including candidates from diverse backgrounds and those with disabilities.
Base salary will be within the range of $140,000.00 to $190,000.00+ subject to and commensurate upon skills and experience. This full-time permanent position comes with a comprehensive benefits package. Further details will be discussed in a personal interview. All finalists will undergo a Criminal Records and Credit Check.
In compliance and consistent with the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (“PIPEDA”), HumanEdge shall respect the privacy and confidentiality of all personal information provided directly or indirectly verbally, electronically or in print throughout the process of candidate engagement in our search assignments.
Resumes submitted in confidence to: