Kapown Rehabilitation Centre
Kapown Rehabilitation Centre (http://kapown.ca/index.html) has been a centre of holistic treatment of addictions for 32 years. The Centre is located on the Kapawe’no First Nation on the shore of Buffalo Bay near the Hamlet of Grouard, AB; 36 km from the Town of High Prairie, AB and 360 km NW from the City of Edmonton, AB.
The Centre operates a 32-bed co-ed adult facility accredited under the Canadian Accreditation Council. On average the Centre supports and treats up to 200 clients each year. Their treatment philosophy is based on the recognition that addiction is a disease which effects a person physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually. Emphasis on helping individuals find the motivation, skills, resources and inner strength they need to maintain a clean and balanced lifestyle. In addition and part of the treatment and healing services, the Centre operates a Family Wilderness Camp over the months of July on the north shore of Lesser Slave Lake.
Future plans are underway for a new 64 client mental health and wellness centre.
The Senior Accountant reports to the Executive Director and is responsible for directing and managing all finance and accounting functions for the Kapowan Rehabilitation Centre. The individual will be part of the Leadership Team and work closely with the Executive Director contributing to strategic direction, financial analysis and planning, allocation of resources, process improvement, operational performance improvement and financial reporting. This position will be responsible for ensuring the integrity of the financial results and preparing financial statements in accordance with reporting standards.
ACCOUNTABILITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develops, implements and maintains strong financial and internal controls and procedures to ensure the integrity of financial reporting through interaction with organizational stakeholders and independent auditors.
- Develops Accounting & Finance policies and procedures that will ensure bookkeeping and records of the business are maintained in accordance with applicable Accounting Standards.
- Interacts with the senior management and operations team on matters related to the timely completion of financial reporting including monthly results, quarterly reviews, the year-end audit, annual budgets, and the preparation of federal tax returns. Prepare monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reports that will support senior management decision making.
- Monitor all expenditures ensuring they conform to approved budgets and policies, and report regularly to the Executive Director.
- Provide analysis of significant variances from the business plan and forecasts, fluctuations from previously reported actual operating results, and other key operating metrics.
- Coordinate the requirements of the annual business planning cycle within the organization and update forecast information as may be required.
- Prepare and finalize the annual capital needs for the organization, support the preparation of the annual budget, and monitor ongoing expenditures.
- Assist the Executive Director to prepare and present reports required by funding agencies and liaises with these funding agencies regarding funding and service expenditures.
- Take a lead role in critically reviewing business and operating processes, identifying areas to improve, strengthen and streamline processes as necessary.
- Coordinate the management response to internal audit findings and recommendations with the Senior Management team.
- Accountable for running bi-weekly payroll and ensuring accuracies with all financial reporting.
- Ensures validity of all vendor invoices and subsequent payment for rendering of services.
- Ability to collaborate and influence at all levels in order to successfully action the business agenda.
- Communicates complex/technical information in a simple, understandable way.
- Balances interests of a variety of internal and external customers; readily readjusts priorities to respond to pressing and changing demands.
- Distinguishes between relevant and irrelevant information and exercises good judgment in order to make well-informed decisions.
- Recognizes and effectively balances the interests and needs of one’s own group with those of the broader organization.
- Prioritizes activities, efficiently establishes appropriate courses of action, and monitors progress.
- Ability to set the example on expectation, accountability and attitude through personal actions and results.
- Challenges the status quo; looks for better/more efficient ways to get results.
- Base judgments on evidence rather than personal preferences.
- Utilizes available data to perform analysis to highlight trends, issues and potential solutions.
- Can navigate negotiations by analyzing the problem, understanding the interests of each party, and generating alternatives that meet the needs and interests of all parties.
- Adheres to the company’s set of core values and beliefs during both good and bad times; lives the values talk by demonstrating appropriate behaviours daily.
- Encourage and provides opportunities for professional growth, learning and development, rewards and recognition.
- Manages efficient workflows throughout department; conscientious, thorough, accurate, and reliable when performing and completing job tasks.
- Minimum 5-7 years of progressive and diverse experience in the field of accounting or financial management, with direct experience in implementing and maintaining financial policies, procedures, and controls.
- Diploma or Certificate in Accounting is desired.
- Experience in the healthcare industry is an asset.
- Knowledge with respect to GAAP of Canada.
- Experience with QuickBooks is an asset.
- Functional Microsoft Office skills is required; emphasis on Excel use.
- Possessing a certificate in the field of addictions treatment would be an asset.
- Current First Aid and CPR Certification (training provided).
- Criminal Records and Vulnerable Persons Check (will be required).
- Valid driver’s license (Driver’s Abstract submission will be required).
Compensation will be commensurate upon experience and skills, consisting of an hourly salary plus benefits.
Note: Temporary accommodations exist for flexible work-week arrangements.
In compliance and consistent with the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (“PIPEDA”), HumanEdge shall respect the privacy and confidentiality of all personal information provided directly or indirectly verbally, electronically or in print throughout the process of candidate engagement in our search assignments.
This document may be subject to change.
Expressions of interest and resumes may be sent in confidence to: