Director of Parks, Recreation and Culture
The Municipal District of Bonnyville (www.md.bonnyville.ab.ca) is located in the northeastern part of the Province of Alberta. Embedded within the boundary of the MD is the City of Cold Lake, the Town of Bonnyville, the Summer Villages of Bonnyville Beach, Pelican Narrows, Metis Settlements of Elizabeth and Fishing Lake, and Cold Lake First Nation.
The population of the Municipal District is estimated at 13,500 residents. The MD office is located in the Town of Bonnyville which is approximately 240 kms NE of Edmonton along Highway #28. Predominant industries influencing the MD include agriculture, forestry, oil and gas/energy, utilities, and recreation. The Canadian Forces Base ‘Cold Lake’ is located just southwest the City of Cold Lake, AB and is operated as an air force base by the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF), one of two bases in Canada that stations the CF-18 Hornet fighter.
The MD owns/leases and manages 9 campgrounds and parks, 3 outdoor rinks, 4 ball diamonds, 13 boat docks, 9 Municipal reserves and 15 playgrounds. In addition the MD owns and operates the year-round Kinosoo Ridge Snow Resort. Notable Provinical recreation sites in the region include Cold Lake Provincial Park, English Bay Recreation Area, French Bay Recreation Area, Moose Lake Provincial Park, and Franchere Bay Recreation Area. Future plans include a Multi-use Park and Adventure Park.
The Director of Parks, Recreation and Culture reports to the General Manager, Planning and Community Services and is responsible for the overall direction, general management, business and administration of parks, recreation, and open spaces within the boundaries of or influencing the Municipal District of Bonnyville. The position will help shape the goals, objectives and practices required for the effective operation of the Department and delivery of services. This position involves the integration of managing staff, contractors, safety, planning, equipment, risk, material, user experience and budgets to ensure the efficient and effective operation, maintenance and continuous improvement of the MD’s parks, recreation facilities, and open spaces.
- Manager of Parks & Recreation
- Administrative Assistant
- Manager, Kinosoo Ridge Snow Resort
- Assistant Manager, Kinosoo Ridge Snow Resort
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides leadership and direction to, and accountable for the direct reports.
- Research, apply, manage, track and report with respect to grant funding applications for both the municipality and community groups.
- Prepare terms of reference for an RFP process.
- Review liability insurance coverage, facility inspections, and risk management.
- Manage and collaborate with the Parks Manager in the operation and maintenance of owned and leased campgrounds, boat launches, playgrounds, ball diamonds, multi-use parks and trails.
- Oversee the department’s management team on long term planning, budgeting, and project development.
- Responsible for all aspects of the Master Recreation Plan, which includes trails, multi-use parks, boat launches, campgrounds, playgrounds, and skating rinks, etc.
- Responsible for all aspects of the All-Season Resort Master Plan, which includes Kinosoo Ridge Snow Resort, adventure park, mini golf, RV campgrounds, mooring systems, and zipline, etc.
- Attend all meetings relating to recreation activities within the municipality and region.
- Act as a liaison with various urban centers, negotiation of joint use agreement and cost sharing requests for rural residents utilizing town facilities.
- Maintain a strategic plan design with the General Manager of Planning & Community Services to keep the municipality viable, increasing prosperity for the long term.
- Assist with policy development for recreation facilities, youth sport development, levels of service and risk assessment.
- Provide governance in accordance with legislation and policies pertaining to the Parks, Recreation & Culture Department.
- Stay current with trends and changes within the recreation industry.
- Post secondary degree or diploma in recreation / business management, recreation administration or equivalent.
- Minimum of five (5) years of progressive management experience in a municipal recreation setting is preferred.
- Experience in managing seasonal and year round recreation facilities and operations.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Familiar with the Society’s Act, and experience working with a Not-for-profit organization Board.
- Good knowledge of provincial and federal grant application processes.
- Mature interpersonal, communication and public relations skills.
- Ability to build, develop and mentor a team.
- Valid Class 5 AB Driver’s Licence.
- Criminal Record background check will be required of the successful applicant.
Compensation will be commensurate upon experience and skills, consisting of an annual salary plus a generous benefits package. Relocation support is negotiable if required.
Compliance and consistent with the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (“PIPEDA”), HumanEdge shall respect the privacy and confidentiality of all personal information provided directly or indirectly verbally, electronically or in print throughout the process of candidate engagement in our search assignments.
Note: This document may be subject to change.
Expressions of interest and resumes may be sent in confidence to: