Freshstone Brands Inc.
Director, Information Technology
Freshstone Brands is a Canadian based food service company and a producer of home meal replacement products servicing several market channels in Canada and the United Sates.
Using only natural ingredients (no artificial flavours, colours or preservatives), Freshstone Brands produces gourmet ready-to-eat entrees, side dishes, soups, spreads, dips, dressed salads and hand-held appetizers and a wide variety of other pre-packaged food products. Freshstone Brands provides premium food product solutions for grocery retailers, delis, up-scale commissaries, and more.
Freshstone Brands has stringent compliance system, is licensed by the FDA and CFIA, and maintains high food and food production quality certification standards:
The Director of Information Technology (IT) reports directly to the Chief Financial Officer of Freshstone Brands Inc. and will be located within the Greater Toronto Area.
As Director of IT, you will be responsible for the management of all data and technology infrastructure including all relevant personnel and external resources. The Director of IT will have a transformational role in assessing the current IT infrastructure and determining and implementing the most effective strategic and operational changes and investments in order to achieve Freshstone’s business growth objectives.
In consultation and collaboration with other, staff, business units, and external providers, the Director of IT will lead change through the implementation of a variety IT related optimization projects utilizing a blend of waterfall and agile applications. You will be an important member of the leadership team and expected to contribute and apply your IT knowledge and expertise at all levels of the organization.
- Assessing all current IT infrastructure and develop and implement an IT Roadmap conducive to the growth objectives for the business.
- Developing strong business relationships with the leadership team, staff, external vendors, and other stakeholders.
- Anticipating business needs and providing practical and pragmatic IT solutions aligned with the business growth objectives.
- Leading and directing the development of applications and technologies to support the organizations short-term and long-term goals and objectives.
- Evaluating current ERP system and other technologies with the objective to improve data capture/metrics/analysis, performance improvement, increased productivity, waste reduction, customer satisfaction, quality assurance, and sustainability.
- Providing recommendations on new systems, software, hardware, or other process enhancements to existing applications and operations.
- Ensuring integrity of organization-wide data, proprietary information and related intellectual property through information security and controls, and the management of risks and cybersecurity.
- Employing risk management techniques to ensure appropriate food safety, disaster recovery and business continuity processes are developed, implemented, tested, and maintained.
- Ensuring effective IT project management through planning, organizing, monitoring, and implementing on time and within budget utilizing a mix of internal and external resources.
- Applying a combination of waterfall and agile project management approaches to mitigate business interruptions.
- Evaluating existing and potential third-party IT support systems and services.
Education and Experience
- Degree or Diploma in Computer Science, Information Technology, Information Management, Business Information or a related discipline.
- Ideally experience and education in one or more of the following: Project Management Professional (PMP), Certified ScrumMaster (CSM) or Scrum Fundamentals Certified (SFC), IT Information Library (ITIL), COBIT 5 (data/IT governance), Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP).
- 10+ years’ experience with at least 5 at a senior-operations level.
- Demonstrated experience in IT strategic planning (IT roadmaps).
- Ideally, experience with IT infrastructure integrations for multiple sites / business units.
- Possessing prior experience with integration of systems and technologies as a result of an acquisition or a merger transaction.
- Strong collaborating, influencing and negotiation skills
- Strong strategic conceptual thinking, strategic planning, and execution skills.
- Business acumen in terms of understanding what IT solutions and investments produce the best ROI for a food processing or manufacturing business.
- Accomplished in cyber security, IT risk management policies, and data governance.
- Experience with various applications of agile and waterfall project management.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills including tact, poise, judgement, and emotional intelligence.
- Valid Passport (required travel between US and Canada).
- Valid Canadian Driver’s License.
- Preferably fully vaccinated for COVID-19.
- Manufacturing facilities may have air borne aromas and food dust particles such as flour that can affect persons with allergies.
Competencies and Attributes
- Willingness to work at operational and tactical levels, and still contribute strategically.
- Business centered approach to IT.
- High integrity and ethics.
- Intuitive, creative, innovative, and practical
- Strong problem solving skills.
- Comprehensive knowledge of IT infrastructure.
- Collaborative, engaging, and influencing to affect desired outcomes.
- Organized and systematic in prioritizing and executing plans.
- Open, respectful, diplomatic, and frank in communicating with others.
- Mature approach to resolving conflict or disputes.
- Recognizes the power of data, metrics, and analytics as performance drivers.
Freshstone Brands Inc. is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion and recognizes that a diverse staff benefits and enriches the work environment and contributes to organizational excellence. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals including candidates from diverse backgrounds and those with disabilities.
The base salary will be commensurate with skills and experience. Benefits and a bonus incentive are included and will be discussed during the candidate review process.
In compliance and consistent with the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (“PIPEDA”), HumanEdge shall respect the privacy and confidentiality of all personal information provided directly or indirectly verbally, electronically or in print throughout the process of candidate engagement in our search assignments.
For more information or submission of interest/resume contact in confidence: