Director of Facility Management
GEF Seniors Housing (www.gef.org) was established in 1959 and evolved to become the largest provider of subsidized seniors’ housing in Alberta, Canada with over 3,800 seniors receiving friendly, affordable, secure housing and services. GEF is a registered charity that truly makes a difference in the lives of their residents, and gives their families confidence and peace of mind through safe quality service.
In addition and complimentary to GEF Seniors Housing’s Vision, Mission and Values, is the organization’s Quality of Life Philosophy summarized in this statement;
To provide seniors with accessible, affordable and safe housing in comfortable and supportive environments that promote opportunities for them to successfully age in place.
GEF Seniors Housing is located in Edmonton, Alberta, and operates and manages 31 apartment buildings, 11 lodges, and 2 duplex communities across Edmonton. Employing approximately 500 people, for the past 10 years GEF Seniors Housing has been recognized as a Best Small and Medium Employer in Canada. GEF has maintained its Certificate of Recognition (COR) for workplace health and safety since 2000. All GEF buildings are certified crime free multi-housing properties under the Edmonton Police Service Program.
The Director of Facility Management reports to the Chief Executive Officer and is responsible for the management and planning of capital maintenance projects, transportation fleet, security, safety and the ongoing operations, maintenance, and improvements of all GEF buildings and related infrastructure. The individual plays a key role in ensuring that GEF’s physical spaces, assets, systems and equipment aligns with the organization’s Strategic Plan. The Director is also responsible for the upgrade and retrofit of existing buildings, developing and updating facility management policies and procedures to ensure compliance with appropriate legislation.
Direct Reports: Maintenance Manager, Project Coordinators, Project Planner and Designer, and Administrative Supports.
Indirect Reports: Maintenance Technicians, various Trade Groups, and Site Maintenance Staff.
As Director of Facility Management, you are recognized as an important and equal participant and a strategic and professional contributor to the Senior Management Team. As a leader you guide, respect, direct, mentor, collaborate and support your teams and staff. You have the humility to “roll up your sleeves” whenever necessary because at the end of the day it is not just a job, it is about GEF’s Quality of Life Philosophy. You possess proven skills and experience in full cycle management for multiple buildings. You have mature skills with respect to communicating, scheduling, planning, project management, management of staff, contractors, and other internal and external stakeholders. You fully understand current market costs and expenses relevant to building construction and maintenance servicing (e.g. rates, fees, prices), and can prepare and manage a project budget. You can capably navigate matters associated with the Province of Alberta and City of Edmonton in relation to permits, codes, inspections, standards, and regulatory compliance.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensure the facility management strategy aligns with GEF’s Vision, Mission and Strategic Plan.
- Participate in GEF’s strategic planning initiatives.
- Provide leadership, mentoring, and support for direct reports.
- Develop annual Facility Management Plan.
- Develop, review, and revise GEF’s Facility Management policies and procedures.
- Ensure compliance by staff, contractors and trades to GEF’s policies and procedures.
- Provide technical and facility advice, perspectives and support to other managers relevant to their scope of operations.
- Endorse, participate and contribute to GEF’s Health, Safety and Wellness Program.
- Operations and Maintenance
- Project Management
- Self-Development and People Development
- Creating Organizational Efficiencies
- Building Internal and External Relationships
- Financial and Business Acumen
- Planning and Scheduling
- Quality Assurance
- Commitment to Health and Safety
- Environmental Stewardship
- Customer Service Focus
- Strategic and Conceptual Thinking
- Change Agent
- Political Savvy
- Risk Management
- Technology & Innovation
- Post-secondary degree, diploma, or trade relevant to engineering, construction, building, or maintenance would be desired.
- 8-10+ years in progressive leadership roles within the building/facilities management/ maintenance industry.
- Complimentary designations and certifications; Red Seal, PMP, CET, P.Eng.
- Relevant and desirable accreditations include; BOMI, IFMA, and ProFM.
- Comprehensive understanding of building systems, construction, and related trades.
- Functional knowledge of building system technologies relevant to the installation and maintenance of security, controls, HVAC, plumbing, boilers, electrical etc.,
- Demonstrated business management and administrative aspects such as planning, budget, project budgeting, contracts, resource scheduling etc.,
- Comprehensive understanding of Edmonton Building and Safety permits, inspections, codes, standards and regulations.
Compensation will be commensurate upon experience and skills, consisting of an annual salary plus a generous benefits package.
In compliance and consistent with the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (“PIPEDA”), HumanEdge shall respect the privacy and confidentiality of all personal information provided directly or indirectly, verbally, electronically or in print throughout the process of candidate engagement in our search assignments.
Note: This document may be subject to change.
Expressions of interest and resumes may be sent in confidence to: