Canterbury Foundation is a private not-for-profit charitable organization in Edmonton that is governed by a 14-person board and led by an Executive Director along with key managers and supervisors. Canterbury employs approximately 195 staff and operates three seniors living options on one site:
- Canterbury Manor: a 127-suite independent living seniors’ apartment complex.
- Canterbury Court: a 145-bachelor and double suite supportive living facility.
- Canterbury Lane: a 20-bachelor suite secure and supportive setting for seniors with cognitive impairment.
In 1969 the Bentall Family Foundation joined with the Dominion Construction Company and decided to build retirement homes in Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton. In early 1973, the Dominion Construction Company turned over the Edmonton division of ‘Canterbury Court’ to a newly established Canterbury Foundation as owners and operators of the new facility. On September 8, 1974, Canterbury Foundation celebrated the 40th Anniversary.
As a leading senior’s residence and provider of senior’s continuing care services and programs, Canterbury Foundation (the “Foundation”) shares with seniors the “Promise of Home”. Person-centered care is the foundation for all we do in providing safe, quality care and other human services. We provide a home where seniors experience peace of mind and feel like family. All persons are treated with dignity and respect in every interaction. Employees at Canterbury Foundation exhibit the highest standards of personal behavior and ethics in every interaction that instill confidence and trust and maintain the honorable reputation of the Foundation. The integrity of the Foundation demands professionalism on the part of employees in the conduct of their duties.
A member of the senior management team, the Director, Facilities & Operations reports to the Executive Director and provides strategic leadership and tactical direction to various teams in the areas of Capital Projects, Maintenance, Housekeeping, Laundry, Beauty Salon and Food Services. Responsible for all activities concerning the organizing, control, coordination, and planning of department activities to ensure effective delivery of services to residents, and department employees, including Health & Safety services. The Director Facilities & Operations sets KPI’s and targets specific areas in need of improvement to reduce operating costs and increase efficiency and productivity. The appearance and functioning of the buildings and provision of services must reflect the Canterbury brand and exceed resident and their family expectations and optimizes their experience at Canterbury. This may include monitoring revenue margins and worker productivity, implementing new directives for growth while ensuring delivery of “best in class” levels of service, building strong and enduring partnerships with residents and the community, and creating a culture of customer service, accountability and safety. The role requires a business ability consistent with handling multiple demands and priorities in a fast-paced environment.
Facilities & Operations (including Housekeeping, Laundry and Beauty Salon)
- Leads the strategic and tactical project planning and maintenance activities related to building structure, systems, preventive maintenance, day-to-day operational processes, environmental projects and activities.
- Establishes and maintains capital plans and preventive maintenance programs, budgets, objectives and strategies, which are aligned with overall organizational strategic directions.
- Oversees and manages applicable contracts, electrical systems, phone systems, fire panels, emergency response systems, disaster preparedness and vendor relationships.
- Establishes and evaluates for continuous quality improvement of general and preventative maintenance programs and capital replacements of building, plant, equipment and vehicles to maintain high standards of service including performing routine inspections and audits of property and facilities in all portfolio areas.
- Develops and implements operational objectives, policies, procedures and programs in collaboration with appropriate team members, service providers, contractors, inspectors, and other stakeholders.
- Oversees the preparation of plans, specifications and cost estimates for assigned projects. Recommends selection of consultants and contractors; renegotiates and oversees the preparation of contracts; review plans, specifications and maintenance manuals; provides technical consultation on specific matters.
- Ensures that facilities, fixtures and furniture are maintained in a manner which reflects the Canterbury brand, and that they are appropriate in terms of design, function, safety and comfort for residents, guests and employees.
- Directs the purchasing and inventory management of necessary supplies in all responsibility areas.
- Manages and reports on emergency maintenance response and actions to keep the facilities safe and functional. Monitors and corrects security issues.
- Uses extensive knowledge of all fire and life safety regulations and OHS regulations to ensure compliance and adherence to all applicable legislative requirements, regulations and standards of practice for all portfolio areas.
- Leads the coordination and preparation for the Supportive Living Accommodation Standards audit and ensures that standards are maintained at all time.
- Ensures that beauty salon, housekeeping and laundry services are performed in a manner to ensure the Canterbury brand is maintained and that the client, resident and family experience exceeds expectations.
- Plans, organizes, develops, and directs the overall operation of the food service department in accordance with established legislated and regulatory standards, policies, procedures and practices.
- Establishes the strategic direction, budgets and benchmarks for Canterbury Foundation’s food services programs and develops and implements measurable standards of performance.
- Maintains a sanitary and safe operation, including proper cleanliness and maintenance of all equipment and proper handling, serving and storage of all foods.
- Directs the development, testing and implementation of menus, recipes and ingredients and tools and equipment for food production and service.
- Implements dietary best practices in consultation with the Health Services Team to mitigate risks associated with chronic illness and to ensure resident expectations are met
- Establishes and implements service evaluation mechanisms to refine food concepts and menu mix from year to year.
- Oversees the procurement of food, equipment and services needed in the food services department and develops business case for new methods and capital purchases.
- Maintains a positive working relationship with public health inspectors.
Health & Safety
- Understanding and commitment to health and safety policies and practices (such as WHMIS, OHS, Infection Control), sanitation practices, procedures and applicable legislation for all portfolio areas.
- Provides daily health & safety leadership to all workers under the portfolio’s direct supervision.
- Ensures that department managers and supervisors have developed and implemented emergency preparedness and response procedures specific to their department.
- Ensures employees are trained in programs in accident and fire prevention and protection and other employee safety and emergency preparedness programs.
- Proactive in developing a positive health and safety culture for the departments in this portfolio, by ensuring that health & safety is an integral part of the management process; setting clear health and safety values and standards; thinking strategically about health and safety responsibilities; understanding all health and safety legislative requirements, regulations, policies and practices relevant to the departments managed.
- Carries out department specific risk assessments, recording these and implementing improvements identified as necessary.
- Responsible for developing one’s own knowledge, training, experience and health & safety competence to carry out the role and meet legal responsibilities.
- Ensures strict compliance with Occupational Health & Safety Act and all regulations and standards of practice of practice required for ensuring compliance in each portfolio areas (i.e WHMIS, Food Safe, etc)
- Responsible for all security systems of the facilities.
- Investigates and reviews unsafe conditions and unusual incidents and critical incidents utilizing the “root causes analysis process” to ensure corrective action is taken without delay. Participates in the development and execution of disaster recovery and business continuity plans.
- Conducts regular health & safety audits and reporting on same.
- Sets appropriate, delegated levels of resource management decision-making authority for the Department Manager and Supervisors.
- Develops policies and procedures for the portfolios that support the strategic directions and adhere to the principles of Continuous Quality Improvement, meets accommodation and accreditation standards and which contribute to “best in class” levels of service.
- Develops work plans that support the Executive Director’s strategic goals and objectives
- Remains abreast of new concepts, practices, technology, trends and issues in seniors’ supportive living. Leads and manages implementation of new ideas.
- Directs the purchasing and inventory management of necessary supplies in all responsibility areas.
- Analyzes data/results, conducts research, interprets and applies legislation related to facility operations, and lead improvements/projects/change involving multiple stakeholders.
- Promotes compliance with professional and ethical practices, accreditation standards, and applicable legislation.
Financial Planning and Control
- Leads and facilitates the delivery of sustainable business results against growth and profitability objectives.
- Oversees the development and management of operating and capital budgets; plans and implements goals and objectives and develops operations policies and procedures.
- Analyzes variances, compiles and studies revenues and costs and initiates corrective actions when appropriate.
- Recommends new services and programs using profit and loss analyses.
- Prepares tenders for maintenance contract, review, make recommendations. Review contracts to ensure quality, effectiveness, value and competitiveness
- Provides statistical trend analysis.
- Assists with developing supply chain management systems, controls and relationships with suppliers.
- Creates management accountability systems in all portfolio areas.
- Oversees the management of all human resource functions in conjunction with department managers and when necessary, in consultation with Human Resources.
- Provides coaching, guidance and support; provides training opportunities, sets goals and professional development plans; oversees the recruitment, discipline, motivation, rewards, and evaluation of team and individual performance.
- Reinforces team approach on internal initiatives.
- Ensures conflict and other labour relations issues, including grievance resolution, are resolved in a timely manner working through formal complaint/dispute resolution processes and ensuring the provisions of the applicable Collective Agreements are followed.
- Provides visible and active support, strong leadership and commitment to Health & Safety management.
- Develops team goals that are fully aligned with corporate goals.
- Measures and analyzes program performance against accepted internal and external benchmarks and standards, including legislation, and adjusting program operations as required to maximize operations.
- Ensures review/evaluation systems are maintained and improved by reviewing service quality indicators, performance standard variances, service utilization and conducting risk analysis to ensure exposure prevention/risk minimization.
- Develops and establishes cost reduction measures wherever possible with consideration to service impact.
- Bachelor’s Degree or Diploma in Hospitality/Hotel Management and or Business Administration, and or a combination of relevant education and experience.
- Post-secondary education and/or Professional Designation in Property and/or Facility Management or a related trade certificate is desirable (e.g. SFP, CET, CFM, Power Engineering).
- Minimum 7 – 10 years of progressive management /tactical/ experience in one or more of the areas within the portfolio, preferably within a large senior’s care facility, or similar environment dealing with complex building systems (building infrastructure, facility equipment and systems (HVAC, electrical, plumbing, etc), maintenance practices and procedures.
- Equivalent experience in the construction industry may be considered.
- Advanced knowledge of OHS legislation and regulations.
- Demonstrated knowledge of:
- Environmental/green standards and regulations and sustainability options as they relate to legislation and Government funding programs.
- Provincial and federal regulatory agencies relating to facility maintenance and construction
- Proficient use with Microsoft programs (Word, Excel, Power Point, and Outlook)
- Willingness to complete criminal record check and vulnerable sector check.
- Valid Class 5 Driver’s License.
- Able to manage the quality process in areas of customer service and satisfaction.
- Set priorities and drives results through effective people management.
- Demonstrated project management experience including effectiveness with concurrently organizing, planning and coordinating operational initiatives with multiple project activities.
- Proven knowledge of provincial and federal legislation and regulatory agencies relating to continuing care facility maintenance and construction.
- Demonstrated commitment to continued learning and effectiveness in promoting the value of learning and acquiring new information and skills to staff.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills including, ability to demonstrate tact and diplomacy with varied groups of stakeholders.
- Highly developed and effective presentation skills including the ability to present and discuss complex information in a way that establishes rapport, persuades others and gains understanding.
- Strong ability to lead and influence a diverse team in the context of major change, while maintaining group cohesiveness, motivation, commitment and excellent service.
- Professional work attitude and behaviours in interaction with internal and external contacts.
- Honourable and Ethical – As a person of high character, you are consistent and act in line with clear values and steadfast moral compass to ensure that the right decisions in the care of the resident will be made. You are fair, equitable and impartial in resolving conflicts.
- Strong, Effective Leader – You are a self-confident leader, able to motivate, inspire and when necessary, hold your colleagues accountable in order to deliver the best care possible. You build and foster successful relationships and you enjoy managing differing perspectives and opinions. You support staff and foster a healthy work environment.
- Communicative – You enjoy leading robust, critical but respectful discussions and know how to adjust your message to suit the audience at hand. You write clearly and persuasively and can inspire people with your vision. You listen carefully to discover underlying messages. You are direct, diplomatic and truthful.
- Courageous – You fearlessly address all issues and challenges. You are comfortable confronting issues with people and working though conflicts. You feel energized by tough challenges and you are not afraid to challenge the status quo.
In compliance and consistent with the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (“PIPEDA”), HumanEdge shall respect the privacy and confidentiality of all personal information provided directly or indirectly verbally, electronically or in print in the process of engaging with candidates in our search assignments.
This profile is designed to serve as a guide for both the individual holding the position and for those evaluating the performance of this individual. It is in no way intended to include all the daily or ongoing tasks and specifications associated with the position. This document may be subject to change.
Expressions of interest resumes or questions regarding this opportunity may be communicated to: