The Director of Engineering provides planning, organizing and overall direction to the Capital Projects and Municipal Engineering Department. Reporting to the Chief Community Development Officer, the Director of Engineering is responsible for municipal engineering, capital project construction and management, transportation, and City infrastructure lifecycle programs.
Liaising with other Divisions, Department Heads, consultants, contractors and Utility providers, the Director of Engineering ensures that municipal operations and infrastructure are developed and maintained in the most efficient manner, using sound engineering and fiscal management practices.
Municipal Engineering Operations and Capital Budgets:
- Prepare, compile and monitor the annual operating and capital budget for the department;
- Review and prepare short term and long term capital forecasts;
- Coordinate the submission of funding applications to the Province in support of capital projects;
- Oversee the development of the Infrastructure Management Plan, Transportation Master Plan, 10 Year Capital Plan, Master Plans and other associated documents;
- Plan and lead the department’s capital and operating activities, including assignment, project management and construction coordination;
- Oversee the infrastructure capital program, ensuring compliance with all city policies and provincial and federal legislation;
- Lead a capital purchasing process that delivers value for taxpayer investments and ensures capital projects are adequately resourced and remain within approved budget limits.
Stakeholder Relationship Management:
- Meet with internal and external stakeholders regarding municipal infrastructure and capital project plans;
- Liaise with other Divisions, Department Heads, consultants, contractors and Utility providers to ensure that capital projects and municipal infrastructure are developed and maintained in the most efficient manner using sound engineering and fiscal management practices;
- Attend open houses and community meetings, and respond to inquiries from the public and the business community with an intent to find mutually beneficial resolutions;
- Attend City Council and Committee meetings, as scheduled, to provide information and advice regarding issues and opportunities related to municipal infrastructure and capital projects;
- Ensure reports to Council are professionally prepared, that recommendations conform to legislation/standards and align with the
- Vision of the Community and Council’s Strategic Plan;
- Represent the Department and/or Division in internal and external committees/organizations such as the Corporate Capital Projects (CCPC) and APEGA.
Departmental Business Planning:
- Develop three year Department business plans, ensuring alignment to Planning and Engineering divisional business plans and corporate direction;
- Review departmental revenues and expenditures to ensure services are delivered to the appropriate level and the annual departmental budget is within approved limits;
- Establish a corporate performance measurement plan and reporting process;
- Ensure that the departmental plans and practices comply with Council Policies, Administrative Directives and Council-approved Bylaws;
- Review and recommend updates to relevant Council Policies and Administrative Directives.
- Lead the Department in fulfilling the corporation’s Leadership and Culture imperatives, developing the human capacity of the Department, providing excellent customer service and embracing the use of in depth analytics in the development of recommendations;
- Develop a departmental Talent Management Strategy, in line with corporate plans and priorities;
- Ensure that staff receives the training and mentorship required to fulfil their responsibilities and deliver services to the community in a prompt and professional manner;
- Evaluate the performance of direct reports and develop long term career development plans for each team member;
- Ensure all Human Resources practices are undertaken in an effective and efficient manner and that they operate within the confines of Council policies and general direction of the City Manager;
- As a member of the Leadership Team, participate in one stream of the Leadership Forums.
Innovation and Continuous Improvement:
- Review industry practices and standards to ensure a balance between cost minimization, revenue maximization, and quality enhancement in program and service delivery;
- Establish, maintain and measure Department Service Level Standards and develop action plans to address targets not being met;
- Conduct operational reviews to respond to internal or external changes affecting the organization.
The Ideal Candidate
- As the ideal candidate, you are drawn to the challenge and opportunity to lead cutting-edge projects that will have a positive impact on the future of a vibrant and growing community you would be proud to call home.
- Your formal education and career experience have prepared you to assume overall responsibility for a broad portfolio of municipal infrastructure and capital projects to support a progressive community vision.
- A seasoned and collaborative leader, you have the ability be a supportive mentor to a young and talented engineering team, and to partner across the entire organization to meet Council’s priorities and citizen’s expectations for service excellence.
Required Training and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or diploma in Civil Engineering; Masters in Engineering or a related field is preferred;
- Certification or eligibility for certification with APEGA or ASET;
- Extensive knowledge of the project management process, with PMP certification preferred;
- Minimum of 10 years of progressively-responsible experience in a municipal engineering setting;
- Extensive experience in infrastructure management, personnel management and strategic planning;
- Strong computer skills, with an excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Office, Excel and POSSE.
Required Skills and Abilities
- Ability to plan, assign and direct a wide variety of concurrent projects;
- Excellent leadership skills, with the ability to motivate and develop employees, and create a culture of superior customer service;
- Superior interpersonal, communication, presentation and negotiating skills;
- Ability to develop effective, collaborative relationships with internal and external stakeholders.