Champion Petfoods, a leading global manufacturer in the food processing industry, has earned a stellar reputation for innovative, premium, branded products that are distributed in more than 80 countries around the world. Located in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, the company has an unwavering commitment to creating the very highest quality Biologically Appropriate dog and cat food, made from Fresh Regional Ingredients, and Never Outsourced. Guided by a clear mandate and uncompromising values, the company has experienced tremendous growth and success, and earned numerous industry awards.
This is an outstanding opportunity to contribute to the success of a rapidly-growing, well-respected international brand. The Director, Distribution & Transportation will be responsible for the operational and strategic leadership of Champion’s global distribution logistics and transportation network, ensuring compliance, safety, quality, service and cost objectives are consistently achieved. Driving value by using data to identify operational efficiencies, the Director will optimize operations and improve service to customers.
This position is based in Champion Petfoods’ corporate office in Edmonton, and reports to the Executive Vice President, Operations & Ingredient Management.
- Build, mentor and lead a high-performance team that ensures the accurate fulfillment of orders, and an efficient flow of finished goods from Champion’s kitchens to distributors around the world.
- Evaluate and review the company’s logistics transportation business practices, update and develop process documentation, streamline opportunities, and identify and eliminate non-value added functions.
- Forecast, plan and implement budgets and budgetary control to monitor and control financial resources and expenditures.
- Provide management control, scope, and oversight of suppliers worldwide to cost-effectively meet customer service needs, including e-commerce fulfillment activities.
- Ensure all supplier management processes are compliant with corporate quality system and regulatory requirements.
- Investigate and implement information technology and automation to supply chain (e.g. warehouse management systems, real-time freight tracking) to improve customer service and/or reduce cost.
- Provide analysis and recommendations for global long-term distribution/logistic strategy aligned with functional and corporate strategic plan.
- Develop and manage an effective transportation information reporting system.
- Network with other companies and professional associations to identify approaches to enable world class performance and global best practice implementation across distribution and logistics processes.
The Ideal Candidate
As the ideal candidate, you are you are a seasoned distribution and transportation professional, with experience gained at global organizations that value excellence in customer service. Highly strategic and solution-oriented, you are adept at using performance indicators to identify process improvement opportunities and monitor progress towards service goals. A seasoned, collaborative and pragmatic leader of people and projects, you are known for your integrity and are excited by the opportunity to contribute to a culture that focuses on growth, innovation and continuous improvement in order to deliver outstanding results.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- A minimum of 15 years supply chain and logistics management experience, ideally with a company doing business globally through a network of distributors.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field.
- Formal process improvement training, e.g. Lean, Six Sigma, would be an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with supply chain partners in analyzing, developing, and implementing transportation strategies to support business growth needs and improve overall company margins.
- Ability to effectively engage, communicate and manage logistics functions dependent on a high degree of customer service in a global supply chain utilizing cross functional teams and third party logistics providers.
- A demonstrated record of success in building, managing and mentoring high-performance teams.
- Knowledge of transportation regulations, contracts, and import documentation and procedures.
- Knowledge and experience with all modes of transport and carriers.
- Ability to create, read and analyze reports in order to make effective business decisions.
- Strong presentation and communication skills, including the ability to effectively negotiate contracts.
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please forward your resume to:
Director, Executive & Professional Search