Established and based in Edmonton, Alberta Canada in 1988, our Client has grown to become one of Western Canada’s largest privately owned consumer goods manufacturer. The company’s success can be attributed to its talent, premium quality and investment in technology. The company has been recognized with a number of Awards.
Reporting to the CEO and based at the corporate office in Edmonton, Alberta, the Controller will provide leadership and coordination of all financial staff (5) and functions including accounting and financial reporting. This position will provide advice to senior management with data, analysis, information and value-added commentary relevant to company decisions and business strategies.
The Ideal Candidate
- This Controller role is for an individual that can not only produce “the numbers”, but strives to understand and address “the numbers”.
- You should be a seasoned and strong financial reporting professional content working in a lean, fast pace, growing business.
- Experience working in a manufacturing operation with multiple Canadian Provincial locations, would be a asset.
- You fully comprehend financial and operating performance measurements and management; reporting, metrics, forecasting, analysis, margins, trends, analytics, risk, debt, equity, P&L…etc. At the same time you are not just “the Controller”; rather a financial leader and team player that knows how to delegate, monitor and mentor others for desired information and outcomes. Furthermore, it is acceptable and easy to extend your support and assistance to other areas of the business when required.
- You have considerable private sector experience, and ideally have reported directly to an owner, President, or CEO.
- You can present your ideas and positions in a professional manner, however understand and respect the fact that your ideas, reports, proposals, and or submissions may, at any time, be questioned, challenged and possibly rejected.
- Building relationships, engaging with others, striving for continuous improvement, and identifying solutions comes naturally.
- Keeping it concise, efficient and effective are part of your operating guidelines.
- Being thorough and accurate are fundamental components of your deliverables.
- Openness, collaborative and professional reflects your management style.
Education and Skill:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Accounting or Business with strong Accounting experience.
- 8+ years’ experience in corporate accounting and financial management, including 3-4 years at a senior level.
- Excellent organizational, analytical, and problem solving skills, and strong attention to detail.
- Experience in a senior financial-management role, partnering with staff, resulting in the development and implementation of effective financial management strategies.
- Proven leadership and team building skills. Ability to build consensus, rally support around common goals and to motivate groups and individuals.
- Proven negotiation and mediation skills with the ability to overcome obstacles to cooperation and to foster harmonious relations.
- Strong project management skills. Easily balances competing priorities, complex situations, and tight deadlines.
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communications skills. Ability to be articulate in a concise, compelling and diplomatic manner.
- Superior computer proficiency skills using MS Excel and accounting software packages.
- As a true business partner to the CEO and functional leaders, assess organizational performance against both the annual budget and company’s objectives and strategies.
- Develop tools and systems to provide critical financial and operational information to the CEO and make actionable recommendations on both strategy and operations.
- Engage the other managers of finance, audit, accounting and investment around issues, trends, and changes in the operating model(s) and operational delivery.
- Assist in establishing yearly objectives and meeting agendas, and selecting and engaging outside consultants (auditors, investment advisors).
- Oversee long-term budgetary planning and costs management in alignment with the company’s strategic plan, especially as the organization considers potential acquisitions, and collaborations with external organizations.
Serve as a member of leadership team.
- Participate in key decisions pertaining to strategic initiatives, operating model and operational execution.
- Prepare and maintain regular financial planning reports; Monthly profit and loss forecast by division (vs. budget); weekly cash flow forecast.
- Complete analysis of financial results; develop recommendations (strategic and tactical).
- Develop and maintain capital budget.
- Assist in development of financial planning and analysis exercises/reports.
- Oversee cash flow planning and ensure availability of funds as needed.
- Oversee cash, investment, and asset management.
- Develop and utilize forward-looking, predictive models and activity-based financial analyses to provide insight into the organization’s operations and business plans.
- Coordinate the development and monitoring of budgets.
- Develop financial business plans and forecasts.
- Remain up to date on audit best practices and provincial, state and federal law regarding for profit operations.
- Oversee the accounting department to ensure proper maintenance of all accounting systems and function.
- Ensure maintenance of appropriate internal controls and financial procedures.
- Ensure timeliness, accuracy, and usefulness of financial and management reporting for the company board of directors; oversee the preparation and communication of monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements.
- Coordinate audits and proper filing of tax returns and WCB returns.
- Ensure legal and regulatory compliance regarding all financial functions.
- Oversee preparation of month-end, quarter-end and year-end financial statements.
- Review all month-end closing activities including general ledger maintenance, balance sheet reconciliations and corporate/overhead cost allocation.
- Enhance and implement financial and accounting systems, processes, tools and control systems.
- Serve as final point of escalation for Accounts Receivable/Accounts Payable/Payroll issues.
- Develop and manage accounting staff.
- Serve as a key point of contact for external auditors; manage preparation and support of all external audits.
Oversee AR management and provide support to collections activities.
- Prepare various analyses, financial models and reports required by corporate development efforts.
Expressions of interest and resume may be sent in confidence to:
Ken Glover, BSc., RPR