Parkland County (www.parklandcounty.com) is located just west of the City of Edmonton. The County hosts a population of just over 30,000 residents, comprised of residential, farms, and a variety of businesses. There are many unique small urban / rural cottage communities, villages, and acreage communities within Parkland County. Within the County, but jurisdictionally separate, are two larger municipalities; the Town of Stony Plain and the City of Spruce Grove.
The industry hub of Parkland County is located within the Acheson Industrial Area which boarders the City of Edmonton, and hosts an array of service, supply, distribution, and manufacturing businesses.
Parkland County is host to many parks, lakes and recreation areas including several golf courses, the Wagner Bog Natural Area, the Clifford E. Lee Nature Sanctuary, and the University of Alberta’s Botanical Gardens.
The Controller will report to the General Manager of the Chief Financial Office. The Controller will be responsible for the County’s financial reporting and budgeting activities and for providing operational leadership, strategic planning and staff management of the Budget & Financial Reporting Department. The Controller will manage the financial statements, grant and budget information to Council and Senior Administration. This position provides a leadership role to ensure financial reporting compliance with the Municipal Government Act (MGA), County policies and bylaws, the effective and appropriate utilization of grants, and adherence to internal controls.
Direct reports into the Controller currently include the following:
- Manager of Budget & Grants
- Manager of Financial Reporting
Accountabilities and Responsibilities
Provide Operational Leadership
- Helping define and promote a clear vision for the department.
- Modelling and promoting behaviors that foster a culture of leadership, collaboration, teamwork, respect and customer service.
- Implementing industry best practices and leveraging efficient workflow processes, to maximize cost effectiveness.
- Developing and recommending relevant policies, administrative directives and procedures for review and approval.
- Assisting in the development and monitoring of budgets for financial reporting and budget & grants.
- Optimizing the software system, for both financial reporting and budgeting.
- Ensuring project plans for the financial reporting, grant and budgeting processes are prepared and utilized for the efficient coordination of resources.
- Taking an active role in developing and recommending process improvements to customer service, operations, and service delivery.
- Ensuring appropriate internal controls are in place.
- Planning and providing overall direction and leadership to staff.
- Promoting staff training and development and monitoring performance.
- Providing clear expectations, coaching, evaluation and feedback that builds on strengths and includes timely performance management.
- Building capacity and succession opportunities through shadowing, cross training and employee career development.
- Providing the right balance of tools, training and responsibility structure, to empower staff and promote job satisfaction.
- Evaluating and judging the capabilities of department staff and align responsibility areas accordingly.
- Maintaining strong relationships with Council, Executive Team and other County departments.
- Providing expertise, guidance and recommendations to the organization on Financial Reporting, Budgeting and Grant Management, both in response to current issues and future trends.
- Collaborating with the management team, towards achieving corporate goals and objectives.
- Assisting Council and Executive Team to resolve corporate and/or politically sensitive issues.
- Establishing a business plan that anticipates emerging trends/issues, is priorities-based and provides value-added to a quality service-delivery model.
- Ensuring key performance indicators are in place for accountability, to measure success and are effective as a reporting tool.
- Ensuring compliance with the Municipal Government Act (MGA).
- Maintain compliance with GAAP, Public Sector Accounting Standards, and any established internal financial reporting policies and procedures.
- Presenting financial statements, grant and budget information to Council/Committee of the Whole and Senior Administration.
- Providing assistance to departments as requested.
- Supporting the County’s Records Management System.
- Acting as General Manager, Chief Financial Office as delegated.
- Providing backup support to the other managers and directors in the department and the General Manager, Chief Financial Office.
Education / Designation(s):
- Post-Secondary education in commerce/finance such as a Bachelor of Commerce degree or an Accounting Diploma from a recognized institute of technology or college.
- Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered.
- Chartered Professional Accounting (CPA) designation.
- This position requires a seasoned senior finance / accounting executive.
- A minimum of 8-10 years of progressively relevant financial / accounting senior experience, preferably in a public sector organization, along with experience working with Boards of Directors, Executive Councils or Committees is required.
- Knowledge and experience with Public Sector Accounting Standards, the Municipal Government Act, financial reporting, budgeting, planning and forecasting processes and techniques are also required.
Competencies and Attributes:
- Strong technical skills to evaluate, investigate and interpret information related to financial reports and forecasts.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, to ensure clear and accurate messaging and effective, diplomatic public relations.
- Ability to build relationships, make informed & timely decisions on matters of urgency and complexity, be responsive to client needs and apply creativity in challenging the process.
- Needs strong problem solving & prioritization skills to address tasks in a timely manner.
- Attention to detail and maintaining a high degree of accuracy is essential.
- Demonstrate proficiency with computer applications and Microsoft Office (including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
- Experience with Bellamy financial software and ERP systems would be an asset.
- Experience with Priority Based Budgeting would be an asset.
Expressions of interest and resume may be sent in confidence to: