The Town of Vermilion, Alberta is located 175 kms east of Edmonton and 60 kms west of Lloydminster at the intersection of highways #16 (Yellowhead) and #41 (Buffalo Trail). Vermilion was settled in early 1905 and incorporated as a Town in 1906. Today the population is just over 4,500 residents.
Vermilion’s primary economy is comprised of the agriculture and energy industries, which supports a vibrant secondary supplier and service sector. Lakeland Regional College located within the Town makes a significant positive economic and socio-demographic impact. Among other programs, the College is renowned for its comprehensive Fire & Emergency Services Program and Campus.
Adjacent to the Town is Vermilion Provincial Park offering an array of outdoor recreation opportunities including soccer field, baseball diamond, camping and water sports. Policing is performed through a full-time permanent local RCMP detachment. Vermilion hosts all the conveniences associated with a Town that functions as a regional centre such as retail, grocery, entertainment, recreation, professional practices, banking and other family, community, social and business services.
Key current and future strategic initiatives for Council and Administration include:
- Pursuit of a new Waste Water Treatment Facility
- Business and Investment Attraction
- Transparent and Sound Governance
- Embracing and Exploring Technology Enhancements
- Community Engagement
- Visionary Leadership
The Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) will report to Mayor and Council
The CAO is responsible for guiding the overall operations and delivery of the day-to-day affairs of the Town as outlined in the Municipal Government Act (MGA), Town Policies and Bylaws as set by Council.
Direct and Indirect reports to the CAO currently include the following:
- Director of Finance & Administration
- Director of Transportation & Utilities
- Director of Community Services
- Economic Development Officer
- Planning and Development Officer
Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Leadership and direction to the senior administration team.
- Ensure operations and budgets align with strategic plans and annual goals.
- Ensure proper financial recording and reporting consistent with GAAP.
- Recommends progressive and responsive policies, procedures, systems, and investments.
- Works with Mayor and Council to address matters of importance to the Town, and help set vision and direction.
- Maintain an open and supportive relationship with Mayor and Council ensuring all parties are kept current on Town operations, achievements, and relevant matters.
- Monitors all matters associated with risk, legal, finance, policy, business development, infrastructure, projects, safety, environment, and community.
- Attend Council meetings and other related committee or stakeholder meetings as may be prudent or required.
- Participate and engage in community events and activities.
- Foster, promote and facilitate positive customer services, collaboration, partnerships, innovation, accountability, and recognition.
- Build and develop relationships with community members, industries, governments, organizations, institutions, and other potential stakeholders.
- Maintain current knowledge on relevant legislation e.g. Municipal Government Act, and granting avenues / opportunities.
- Manage and address matters from taxpayers, citizens, organizations, and other stakeholders.
- Possess an Degree and / or Diploma in Business, Public Administration, or related fields.
- Progressive senior managerial experience in local government.
- Certified Local Government Manager (CLGM) Certification would be an asset.
- An equivalent combination of relevant management and leadership experience from another sector may be considered.
- Demonstrated senior level management experience with financial and budgeting processes, strategic planning, government and people relations, negotiations, communications, conflict resolution, and capital works and infrastructure.
- Possesses functional knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite of programs.
- Business acumen and sound comprehension of financial management; statements, reporting, and budgeting.
- Proven Interpersonal and Communication skills.
- High integrity and respectful of others.
- Takes initiative while duly assessing risk factors.
Expressions of interest and resume may be sent in confidence to:
Ken Glover, BSc., RPR